Author of ‘Mass Shootings: Six Steps to Survival’
- Nation’s pre-eminent mass shootings expert
- Highly-decorated, 30-yr law enforcement veteran
- Extensive study of all mass shooting events in the United States since 1980
- Founder of the Community Safety Institute in Dallas, TX
- Has worked with local, state and federal agencies on response models and provides training to corporations, schools and law enforcement officers across the country on how to survive mass shootings
With Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Administrative Management and Advanced Law Enforcement, Matthews is nationally recognized for his work in law enforcement and school safety issues. He has developed national training programs for: the Department of Justice, Office of Community Oriented Policing Services, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, the Bureau of Justice Assistance, the Department of Homeland Security, Department of the Interior, Department of Defense, and the Office of Family Services. He has been honored as a keynote speaker at education and law enforcement conferences around the country.
Matthews and his CSI staff have conducted school safety assessments and vulnerability studies, and developed national instructional programs, for thousands of organizations and tens of thousands of educators and public safety officers across the country. CSI’s Creating A Safer School (CASS) series has been nationally-recognized and serves as the foundation for multiple national school safety initiatives.
Matthews is also the developer of the nationally-renowned RAIN Model for classroom conflict and offers over 20 school safety curriculums. His previous school safety publications include Creating A Safer School (2001), Countering Terrorism: Protecting Our Schools and Communities (2002), and School Safety 101 (2010).
Co-author of The Eyeball Killer, a first-hand account of his capture of Dallas’ only serial killer, Matthews has vast radio experience, is an award-winning column writer and has appeared on national media, including NBC Nightly News, FOX News Channel and CNN.
- Mass shootings
- Public and school safety; Protecting employees, students and public gatherings; Preventing and responding to violence
- Law enforcement, counter-terrorism
John’s Latest Book
His most current title, Mass Shootings: Six Steps to Survival, is the most in-depth study and practical findings for surviving a shooting that has ever been produced, drawing on vital information gleaned from survivors of the most tragic and violent incidents in the United States, including 60 mass shootings over the past 40 years.
Release Date: November 13, 2013
- NBC Nightly News
- FOX News Channel
- ABC News
- CBS News
- Associated Press
Other Books by John Matthews
Creating A Safer School (2001)
Countering Terrorism: Protecting Our Schools and Communities (2002)
School Safety 101 (2010)