Author of ‘The Faith of Christopher Hitchens‘ and ‘The Grace Effect‘
Founder, Executive Director of the Fixed Point Foundation
- Has traveled the world for years, debating atheists such as Hitchens, Daniel Dennett, Michael Shermer and others
- Has organized or chaired dozens of debates on science, religion and ethics
- Vast experience on national television and radio
- Loves to debate the issues. Honest, fair, confident, prepared, credentialed. Impressive depth of knowledge across dozens of issues. Will engage in conversation. Flexible. Not tethered to talking points.
- Has written for dozens of national outlets and been featured in the New York Times, TIME, USA Today, The Atlantic, the American Spectator, the Wall Street Journal and on numerous national outlets including Fox News, CNN and MSNBC
- Global perspective, having spent years traveling to and living in countries around the globe. Currently splits time between U.S. and Europe.
- Owns Master’s degrees in both Russian History and European History
- Fixed Point Foundation has garnered a global reputation for fairness and integrity in taking on “the big questions”
Mr. Taunton is also the founder and executive director of the Fixed Point Foundation. In that role he has debated such high profile atheists as Christopher Hitchens, Daniel Dennett, and Michael Shermer as well as Muslim cleric Zaid Shakir. He has organized or chaired debates on science, religion, and ethics at Trinity College, Oxford University; The Edinburgh International Festival; the Melbourne Town Hall in Melbourne, Australia; Princeton University; and the Oxford Museum of Natural History. Taunton was born at Fort Benning, Georgia. He currently divides his time between the United States and Europe.
- Culture and faith
- Russian history (has spent a significant amount of time in Russia, owns a Master’s degree in Russian history)
- European history (lives half of each year in Europe, also possesses a Master’s degree in European history)
- American history
- Radical Islam
Around the World in 80 Days
Larry Alex Taunton is circumnavigating the globe in search of the world’s greatest country, and is chronicling his journey along the way. Here are some of his recent posts:
Day 3 : Pacific Ocean
Day 7: New Zealand
Day 9: Australia
Day 11: Japan
Larry’s most recent book
2016 Winner, Gospel Coalition Book of the Year Award
In ‘The Faith of Christopher Hitchens’, Taunton offers a very personal perspective of one of our most interesting and most misunderstood public figures. Writing with genuine compassion and without compromise, Taunton traces Hitchens’s spiritual and intellectual development from his decision as a teenager to reject belief in God to his rise to prominence as one of the so-called “Four Horsemen” of the New Atheism. While Hitchens was, in the minds of many Christians, Public Enemy Number One, away from the lights and the cameras, a warm friendship flourished between Hitchens and Taunton — a friendship that culminated in not one, but two lengthy road trips where, after Hitchens’s diagnosis of esophageal cancer, they studied the Bible together. The Faith of Christopher Hitchens gives us a candid glimpse into the inner life of this intriguing, sometimes maddening, and unexpectedly vulnerable man.
“If everyone in the United States had the same qualities of loyalty and care and concern for others that Larry Taunton had, we’d be living in a much better society than we do.” ~ Christopher Hitchens